Wednesday, June 12, 2013

New Joisey

Right now I am sitting in my hotel room at the Wyndam Garden outside of Philly, taking advantage of their free wi-fi and savoring the last good old U.S.of A.-style chocolate milkshake I will probably see for quite some time. Today was our 1-day orientation where we covered some basics including Peace Corps history, expectations, safety, and some ice breakers. There are about 20 people in my Rwanda group, and we all head to JFK together in the morning for our flight out (with a layover in Brussels). So far so good, except for a minor snafu. Apparently, I misread the luggage guidelines and it turns out that while all this time I have been worried about over-packing, I ended up actually packing 50 pounds less than I was allotted. So yeaaahhh, that's a classic Darcy move. But whatayagonnado, right? (said with shrug and Italian accent) I guess at least I don't have to worry about overweight baggage fees. In other news, my two weeks in NJ with friends and family were great! Here's a photo recap of some highlights.

Made friends with this turtle at the Cape May Zoo, then checked out a wine tasting and ghost tour. The tour was led by a slightly senile elderly lady who knew nothing about ghosts. Fact: I have watched many hours of Celebrity Ghost Stories and could have schooled her. It was a hoot. haha
Visited the stables where my cousins Sara and Lori keep Sara's horses and take riding lessons.
My bro CDogg (a.k.a. Chris) turned 22!
Visited historic Lucy the Elephant in Atlantic City with my mom, my brother Chris, and his girlfriend Michelle.
Enjoyed all-you-can-eat buffet crab legs galore. And margaritas of course.
Chris tried his luck at the slots for the first time ever.
Spent time with old friends (Laina above and a whole posse from grade school below). I also got this short haircut to make the bucket baths in Rwanda a bit easier.

My dad (above) and step mom threw a sweet family BBQ and their awesome pitbull was in attendance.
Kayaked through the pine barrons with my mom and did not get attacked by Pineys or the Jersey Devil, even though we were legit out in the middle of nowhere. You should Google these 2 terms and you will understand my concerns. lol
Yeah, I know that's a lot of photos. Don't be a hater. haha

2 comments:

  1. Love the haircut Darcy! And where was that Margaritaville you visited? Didn't know there was one in Jersey. SAFE TRAVELS and we miss you here at EDC! OXOXO Donna D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Donna! Margaritaville was in Atlantic City. Good times with salty drinks. :-) Miss you too! In Rwanda now...about to make a post. Just have to figure out what to say. haha

    ReplyDelete