Friday, June 14, 2013

Jet Lagged to the Max

Well I made it to Rwanda, and it took but a mere 30 hours door to door. Haha On Wednesday we hopped on a bus to JFK, then flew to Belgium where we connected to our Kigali flight. I have to say, I was pretty impressed overall. There was some legit legroom up in this plane, and we even got complimentary ear buds to listen to whichever free movie or TV shows we choose on our individual screens. Baller. The food was not bad either. I especially liked the vanilla ice cream bar with crunchy chocolate shell. Hells yes. And I will not lie to you…I did in fact steal an airplane blanket and pillow. I’m sorry Air Brussels, but you just should not have made them so damn comfortable. That’s on you! Lol Fifteen hours in the air was definitely intense. At one point some very smelly beef stew was served that I thought for sure was going to bring on extreme vomiting. I played it cool though, and was able to hold off on any expulsions. Here's a photo after we got off the plane in Kigali, in a van headed to the Peace Corps compound—which consists of the main offices and a dorm space that we are staying in until Saturday afternoon.



Today was spent receiving some final immunizations like Typhoid and Flu, filling out paperwork, getting sized for a bicycle, and learning some beginners Kinyarwanda. We also set up our new pay-as-you-go mobile phones and wireless modems. Will have to see how those work out cost and service-availability wise, but I’m excited to be able to stay connected! 

Tomorrow will be more of the same orientation until later in the day when we’re separated and sent out to villages in small groups for immerse language, culture, and job training. So it’s off to bed for me now, as I’m 6 hours ahead of E.S.T. and totally pooped, but here are a couple of shots I took today during the one trip we made out of the guarded compound to set up our phones.



4 comments:

  1. Safe and sound and fully airplane-food fed. That's what I like to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics! Palm trees and rolling hills, looks kinda like...Guatemala...ha ha jk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darcy, you are so money it isn't even funny! Glad to hear your trip went well. I look forward to reading about your adventure! Also, I went to Puch's wedding this past weekend, got crunk faced, and danced my A off...I know you'd appreciate that. Also^2, when I publish this it may come up as some lady's name (I think Stephanie), but, it is me. Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I made it here safe and sound! Great success. And it does, in fact, look a bit like Guatemala. I was thinking that too. :-)

    Also, I can only imagine the ridonk-ness of Puch's wedding. lol Nick, I hope you did enough crunking and dancing for the both of us!!!

    ReplyDelete