Wednesday, October 23, 2013

MTV Cribs: Peace Corps Edition

Today I’m going to take you on a tour of my Rwandan mansion, or as I like to call it—the tool shed. When I first checked out this house on my site visit I was terrified. It was very small by American standards, the inside hadn’t been painted and there were coal stove smoke stains on the walls. When I moved in, I was happy to see that the place had been brightened up with yellow paint, but I initially had no furniture other than 2 plastic chairs. Over the last couple of months I’ve tried to make it feel more like home, but it’s a work in progress. So first off to clarify, I do not live with a roommate or host family, but there are neighbors next door who I eat with occasionally. I have electricity, though sometimes when it rains the power cuts out. And I don’t have indoor plumbing of any kind, but there is an outdoor spigot nearby where I can fetch water. I have phone and 3G Internet access, but the latter can be slow and choppy so watching streaming video doesn't really work. Also, a couple of people have pointed out that my town does not exist on some maps, so below you can see the Google map images indicating with a blue dot where my house is—in the SW, directly on Lake Kivu. 



Well, here you have the exterior. The boundary of my house stops at the metal fence on the right, though it shares an interior wall with another house. I put up a clothes line in the front with blue twine and I have a mango tree, which should be neat when it’s in season.


Inside you can see some of the furniture I had made by a local carpenter—a big cabinet where I keep food, cooking supplies, books, etc., and a table. I love my world map—many thanks to my friend Brian for the gift!


On the right I have some photos and post cards from home, then on the far left you can see my Peace Corps-issued water filter as well as a handy dish drying thingy I picked up in Kigali.


In the corner next to the door is a “wet station” of sorts where I hang towels and keep the water jugs and basins that I use for washing clothes and dishes.


The bedroom is pretty basic. I keep the mosquito net up all the time which feels like being in a fort. My favorite thing in this house is the floor mat because it’s the only place I can walk in Rwanda barefoot. Literally all floors here are concrete and it’s not like you can really Swiffer them so even when clean, the floor is actually quite dirty. And if you don’t wear shoes outside you can easily get jiggers, the African version of chiggers, which I hear are no fun and have to be cut out of your foot by the PC Medical Officer.




Next we have the bathroom and shower area. I only use the 2 doors on the far right.


The latrine is pretty basic. It’s your classic squat and squirt situation.


The shower is just a room where you bring your bucket. I keep the mop in there so I can remove the water when I’m finished.


Then I have this odd unconnected room which has some wood-burning stoves (in the center of the photo) that I never use. I just use it as storage for my bike, rain boots, and cleaning supplies. When my hot plate was broken I cooked on the coal stove in here.


Next up, the good ‘ole water spigot.


And finally the communal trash area. Basically just a patch of soil between some banana trees. Werd.


So I know it’s not exactly glamorous, but this is my home for the time being and it’s grown on me. I miss America constantly and the days are mostly long and boring right now, so having a private place to come and chill is a nice luxury. Also, while writing this post I had a good laugh thinking about all the times back in Boston when I went searching for apartments, demanding on-site laundry facilities and a dishwasher. Luckily it doesn’t get too cold or unbearably hot here because heating and cooling systems of any kind... yeah they don't exist. Lol It’s a change of pace to say the least, but I consider myself lucky since some volunteers don't have electricity, a water spigot, or even a paved road with regular transportation!

4 comments:

  1. I really like the look of your living space. :-) Cool wood furniture & yellow walls, beautiful map, attractive and essential floor mat, and your kick-ass Mosquito Net Fort. Mango tree--no es aqui where I am! (Ed. Note: I have not listed the latrine as a plus point, but...I have actually seen worse latrines...) Thanks so much for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! Having a rough time out here recently so having a somewhat comfortable set up at home definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I’m going to take you on a tour of my Rwandan mansion, or as I like to call it—the tool shed. When I first checked out this house on my site visit I was terrified.
    Real wood Crib |
    Crib made in USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy and sell new and used modern, outdoor, office, bedroom and home furniture.
    Choose from a great selection of gently used furniture for every room in your home.
    More here used furniture charlotte nc

    ReplyDelete