Thursday, July 11, 2013

Some Scenes Around Town

This week I thought I’d post some photos to give you an idea of what it looks like in these here parts. On Sunday I’m headed to Kigali for a few days to meet the person who will be my on-site Rwandan counterpart in my permanent village. Then on Wednesday, I’ll travel with him or her out to my future site, where I’ll stay for the rest of the week to get the lay of the land, check out my living accommodations, visit the health center where I'll work, and figure out what types of items I will need to bring with me to site (pots and pans etc.) Also, in case you’re wondering, it took an absurdly long time to upload these photos (like 3 hours maybe), so in the future I’ll probably only be doing a few photos per post at most. Nice to be able to share the view once in a while though!

The front view of my host family's house. I think all of the homes in this area of made of mud brick and maybe concrete. Ours looks a bit fancier than some others I've seen that have plainer looking exteriors.
Went adventuring through some farmland across from my house and stumbled across this scenic vista.
Four days a week Bre (in the blue shirt) and I have our own private language classes with Liliose (in red). We also happen to own matching sandals. lol You can see the door to our classroom in the background.
A peek inside the classroom where the two of us learn Kinyarwanda.

This goat lives outside our classroom. He's pretty chill. He hangs out in the shade of some clothes drying on a tree; and he eats trash with his goat buddy (not pictured).Keep up the good work, guy.
Twice a week, Bre and I walk 30 minutes to the Peace Corps training "hub" where we meet with the larger group of 18 other trainees to learn about the Rwandan Health Care system, various health issues we may work on at site, personal safety, cultural expectations etc.
The view on our walk home from class at the hub. Not bad! That's all for now folks. Will let you know how this trip to Kigali/site visit turns out. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the overview and a glimpse of your surroundings! What a marvelous adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading/posting!

    And yes, Kim, that is indeed laundry. haha Hope things are going well at EDC and I appreciate you checking out my blog and commenting on a few posts. :)Definitely a lot of scenic vistas in these parts, though there's nothing like the Boston skyline!

    ReplyDelete